09/30/2022 | 8:04:00
By Tom Weber, SIUSalukis.com
CARBONDALE, Ill. — Southern Illinois will look for its first win at Illinois State since 2012 when it plays the Redbirds on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. in a sport that’s an advance sell-out. The intrastate battle might be televised on Marquee Sports Network and ESPN+.
The Salukis (2-2, 1-0) have received their last 4 video games towards in-state faculties (Northwestern, Illinois State, Western Illinois twice) and are 6-4 of their last 10 highway video games.
In last yr’s recreation vs. Illinois State, Southern Illinois stormed again with 35 unanswered factors to beat the Redbirds, 35-17, within the conference opener for both colleges. Staring down a 17-0 deficit halfway through the third quarter, the Salukis came to life on a 70-yard kickoff return by Izaiah Hartrup. Hartrup has not played within the 2022 season as a outcome of a hamstring harm.
The Redbirds (2-1, 1-0) have received 5 of the last seven conferences between the groups. Southern’s wins were at house in 2017 and 2021.
- SIU has not misplaced a fumble this season and has not misplaced a fumble in its last six video games dating again to 2021. The last fumble misplaced was on Nov. 20, 2021 versus Youngstown State (Javon Williams Jr. in 1st quarter).
- SIU is +2 in the turnover division. The Salukis pressured four turnovers at Northwestern — LBs Branson Combs and Zach Burrola had interceptions, and Richie Hagarty and PJ Jules forced fumbles that Southern recovered.
- RBs Ro Elliott (1,462), Javon Williams Jr. (2,301) and Justin Strong (981) have combined for 4,744 profession rushing yards and 50 rushing TDs.
- FB Jacob Garrett has 4 TD catches to guide the staff this season. He now has 7 receiving TDs in his profession.
- S PJ Jules had a career-high 11 tackles at Northwestern, together with a key strip-sack in the fourth quarter that set up SIU’s final touchdown.
- Six Saluki players have played 40+ games of their Saluki careers — LB Ma’kel Calhoun (48), DT Keenan Agnew (48), RB Javon Williams Jr. (42), DE Raquan Lindsey (41), FB Jacob Garrett (41) and RB Justin Strong (41).
- Nine, totally different receivers caught passes at Northwestern, matching final year’s season high at Western Illinois and SEMO.
- The Salukis have the shortest center-quarterback-running again mixture at school historical past. Center Jacob Caughell is 6-foot, quarterback Nic Baker is 5-foot-8, and working again Romeir Elliott is 5-foot-6.
Quoting Coach Hill
On the 34-17 victory over North Dakota:
“I was proud of the fellows’ effort and their ability to come back off an enormous win in opposition to Northwestern, and have a great week of preparation, and come out and play a
clear football game. We received off to a good start and we were capable of do the things in the game to come away with a great win in opposition to a really good team.”
On building momentum after starting 0-2:
“I really feel like we’ve gotten better week by week, we have to proceed to do this, that is not one thing that is just going to occur. I suppose the largest issues for us is
being according to our method. It permits you to go out there with a confidence and an edge. I really feel like we have some talented players on this staff with a skill-set
that can play good football. I’m happy with the guys of the best way they’ve responded the final couple weeks.”
On getting opponents into 3rd and long conditions:
“That’s key to profitable soccer game, is having success on first down. When you are in bad down and distances, you aren’t on schedule, and you don’t have on-schedule play calls. When you may get your guys enjoying well on first and second down, you can get into your sub packages. The menu of performs you see really shrinks down. Winning on early down success is tremendous essential, on either side of the ball.”
On Illinois State:
“Their quarterback is an skilled man, with a while within the Big Ten. They have a new offensive coordinator that got here from Big Ten as well. These guys are
experienced and have had a lot of success. They are always really bodily up front and have a good offensive line. They have good tight ends. They make a lot
of things occur on defense. They simply play good football.”